17 Aug CAUSES OF CEREBRAL PALSY
Posted By Gruenberg Kelly Della || 17-Aug-2018
How Does Cerebral Palsy Occur?
Cerebral palsy (CP) is a disorder that affects muscle control. It happens when the brain is damaged or develops abnormally due to a traumatic injury. CP may develop as a result of an injury that occurs before, during, or in the weeks immediately following birth. It is sometimes caused by factors outside the control of parents and physicians, including:
- Brain infections
- Developmental disability of the mother
- Heart problems
- Inhibited or reduced blood flow to the child’s brain
- Low birth weight
- Maternal osteoporosis or osteopenia
- Multiple pregnancies (being born as part of a set of twins, triplets, etc.)
- Sickle cell disease
However, CP can also occur when doctors and medical professionals commit any of the following errors:
- Failure to appropriately and expeditiously treat jaundice, resulting in kernicterus
- Failure to monitor the health of the mother during pregnancy and labor, resulting in maternal infections and/or fever, which can cause fetal brain inflammation and lead to CP
- Failure to see and quickly respond to signs of fetal or maternal distress during labor
- Improper, unsafe, or ill-advised use of assistive birth devices, such as forceps, vacuums, etc.
- Unsafely high doses of labor-inducing uterine stimulants such as Pitocin
If you believe your child’s CP developed as a result of your doctor’s careless behavior, the best thing you can do is get in touch with a birth injury attorney as soon as possible.
We Serve Long Island Families Who Are Suffering as a Result of Birth Injuries
At Gruenberg Kelly Della, we believe in helping people who have been harmed by the negligence of another person or entity. Many parents and children face a lifetime of suffering and millions of dollars in medical expenses as a consequence of damage inflicted at birth. We believe doctors and medical staff should be held financially accountable when their recklessness or inappropriate conduct result in devastating, costly birth injuries like cerebral palsy.
Call (888) 305-6372 now to receive a free consultation with a Long Island birth injury attorney.