Michael Della CV
Strictly serving plaintiffs who have been injured on complex and serious
civil cases from the time I became an attorney, I serve as trial counsel
and supervisor of settlements. I handle high-stakes cases involving wrongful
death, catastrophic injury, labor law, falls, boating accidents and motor
vehicle accidents. I specialize in high profile matters.
Civil Matter Successes
- Represented a family for wrongful death of their infant daughter and successfully
settled the matter for one of the highest settlements in New York State history.
- Represented a man who lost vision in his eye after defendants engaged in
a prank gone-wrong. After over 10 years of appeals, trial resulted in
a 3.6M verdict.
- Represented a police officer injured in the line of duty against the City
of New York and settled the case for $1,025,000 just before trial.
- Represented a man for what the insurance company called “soft tissue”
injuries, who did not have surgery but rather conservative treatment.
After the insurance carrier offered $10,000, as trial counsel, the jury
returned a verdict of $750,000.
- Represented a boy who was injured in MCDonald’s on a class trip when
he got his finger caught in a defective hand dryer. After the jury, unsolicited,
asked if they could award punitive damages, they returned a verdict for
exactly what I asked for: $1,300,000.
- Represented a woman who was forced to undergo spinal surgery for her injuries
and was able to settle the matter for $900,000 before trial.
- Represented a family against the State of New York for loss of sepulcher
when they failed to notify next of kin of his death and wrongly buried
their father without last rites.
- Represented a family against a school district for failing to call an ambulance
after the boy’s complaints of headaches went unresponded to for
over an hour
- Represented a woman that was viciously attacked by two pit-bulls and suffered
- Represented several individuals for the explosion of their Apple iphone devices
- Represented the family of a woman who was a passenger in a vehicle that
was being pursued by the police department without probable cause and
ended up causing her death. A settlement was reached that was in excess
- Represented a man that was bitten by a Shih Tzu in a case the Judge called
impossible to win. As lead trial counsel, the jury returned a verdict
in favor of the plaintiff.
- Created case law when an appeal resulted in a reversal regarding the labor
law and the applicability of section 241 (6) that said preparing to paint
was a covered act under the law. The case was subsequently settled for
multiple six figures.
- Represented an elderly man for bed sores that developed after a fall that
stemmed from the negligence of a major fast-food conglomerate.
- Represented a family whose son was run down by a vehicle while driving
a motorcycle in a racially charged intentional act.
- Litigated thousands of cases, mediated hundreds of cases, and tried dozens
of cases to verdict
Awards and Distinctions:
- Nominated by fellow attorney peers as a “Super Lawyer” and
chosen by the publication as a “Super Lawyer” for New York State
- Member of the New York Trial Lawyer’s Association
- Eastern District of New York, Federal Court Bar admission
- Appeared before the New York State Congress on boating safety
- Section XI Athletic Commission: Game and spectator safety
- NBC TODAY SHOW: Discussed a very high profile case with Matt Lauer involving
the capsizing of a yacht where 3 children died after leaving the Dolan
Family Fireworks show
- Newsday: Quoted for the trial work involving the loss of vision of a man
- Newsday: Quoted regarding the firm’s success in holding the Town
of Islip accountable for the lack of maintenance to its roadways which
caused a traumatic brain injury
- Newsday: Quoted regarding a police pursuit case which resulted in the loss
of a single mother
- Interviewed by ABC, CBS, News12, and FIOS regarding the explosion of an